Saturday, July 3, 2010

all about yellow

I always assumed that "manila" was a shade of yellow. One reserved only for office supplies. A forgotten pigment. But apparently it is actually a breed of hemp, often used to make paper. Additionally (or more importantly perhaps) it is the capital of the Philippines. Who knew. And who, besides me of course, cares?

Sometimes I pretend that I am stronger than I am. But come on, I'm no yellow bellied weenie. I mean good gracious.

"The color yellow has traditionally been associated with cowardice, treachery, inconstancy and jealousy. Brewsters says that in France, the doors of traitors' houses were daubed with yellow. The medieval yellow star (continued by the Nazis) branded Jews as having "betrayed Jesus." In medieval paintings, Judas Iscariot (ultimate symbol of treason) is portrayed wearing yellow garments. In Spain, victims of the Inquisition wore yellow, to imply they were guilty of heresy and treason. On the American frontier in the early 1800s, a "yellow-dog" was anything worthless."

I actually tend to like the color yellow, but since it is seemingly so unfortunate I might just start calling it manila.

Lastly, if piss contains ammonia, then why aren't toilets always clean? One of life's mysteries I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. "Good gracious?"
    What, is your mom from the mid-west or something?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow was the color of mourning in medieval England.

    ReplyDelete