Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I have been in Amman, Jordan for three days now. No amount of photographs or adjectives could explain this place. I wish that my eyes were video cameras so I could catch everything I see. It was a 5 hour flight from Amsterdam, but I landed an entire world away. Paul has been such a comfort, and I could not imagine what it must have been like for him to land here with no one familiar. When I walk with him, this place is beautiful and full of culture and I am in constant awe. People don't give us a second glance. But alone is a different story. I want nothing more than to explore and adventure, but it will take a while for my confidence to build up to that level. I embark on journeys when he is at work, but I stay in familiar areas, and am never out for too long. I would be lying if I said I am not scared. A man followed me yesterday, and another spit at my feet. You read about and hear stories about what this culture is like, but one can ever understand it without being here. Of course I am in no danger as women are off limits, and to cross that boundary would cause a man to be shamed. But the stares will take getting used too. The weather is unbearable, and I am constantly covered. I have never sweat more in my life.

But I hate to misrepresent my feelings here. It is a bit overwhelming, yes, but this experience is worth every stare from every person on these streets. It is beautiful here. And despite waking me up at night, the 3:30am call to prayer remains one of my favorite things here. In a few more days I'm sure I will be feeling fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment